Rather than making it overwhelming, I created a pick list that my clients stick on their fridge (and can take it to the grocery store). This method is great for the type of client that doesn't want their meals specifically laid out for them. They have a pretty good grasp of when to eat (another great teachable coming) and they show consistency. Keep in mind these are guidelines and can help you achieve your goals for weight loss, sport specific training or fitness/figure competitions. the basics are always the same.
Essential Carbohydrates (These are high in fibre, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants)
- Non startch veggies - kale, garlic, onion, spinach, brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, collard grees, endive, tomatoes and cabbage.
- Starchy Veggies - Beets, eggplants, sweet potato, pumpkin, squash and potatoes. LIMIT CONSUMPTION OF THESE DUE TO HIGH CARB CONTENT & INSULIN RELEASE.
- Fruit - Blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, plums, grapefruit and apples.
- Organic non fat plain yogurt, low fat feta cheese, cottage and ricotta cheese.
- brown rice
- spelt, oatmeal, amaranth, millet
- Fish oil - Omega 3's - Cod liver oil, herring, mackerel, sardine and anchovy
- Other fish - salmon, trout, ocean perch, mahi mahi, orange roughy, herring, halibut, tuna (not farmed), arctic char.
- Raw Seeds - ground flax, hemp hearts, chia seeds, pumpkin, sunflower sesame seeds. (1 tbsp is a serving.)
- Raw Nuts - walnuts, almonds, cashews, pecans. NO salts or oils added. (1 tbsp is a serving)
- Avocados (1/4 of an avocado is one serving!) and olives (1-2 tbsp is a serving)
- Coconut (meat and oil). An amazing EFA
- Organic eggs and egg whites.
- Skinless turkey and chicken breasts. Baked, grilled, sauted or BBQ.
- Beef - Eye of round, flank, brisket, sirloin
- Lamb (leg, loin, rib)
- Veal (rib, loin, shoulder)
- Wild fish
- Wild game - venison, bison, ostrich, quail
- Goat cheese
- Protein powder supplements
As stated, these choices are the best of the best with little deviation from this. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them. I would love to hear from you! As I continue to post, I will cover everything from reading labels to workouts to the very best in nutrition. I have a TON of recipes that are my own that are very clean and keep you on track and there is definitely no taste deprivation whatsoever.
Have a fabulous day!